Welcome to Yelp's very first online hackathon!
There’s never been a better time to build something new and awesome with Yelp’s API. Consumers rely on Yelp’s trustworthy ratings, reviews, and accurate business details to make important decisions every day – finding a place to eat, selecting a handyman to help them fix up their home, or uncovering the best place to buy a gift. If you like to think big, hack hard, and dream better, this is the contest for you. Show us what the next generation of cool apps and websites look like — or the next generation of wearables.
We are excited to see what you can develop on our platform. Prizes will be awarded based on originality, user experience and effective use of the Yelp API.
For documentation on the Yelp API, check out the Yelp developer site.
To start, please follow the instructions on the "How to Enter" section of this page.
Note: We accept any original mobile app or website. If you're developing for iOS or Android, your app does not need to be in the App Store or Google Play. To enter an app that isn't in the App Store, use iTunes Connect to invite firstname.lastname@example.org as a beta tester. To enter an app that isn't in Google Play, upload an .apk file on the Enter a Submission form or provide a link for downloading the Application in the “Testing Instructions” field on the Enter a Submission form.
The challenge is open to:
- Teams of eligible individuals.
- Teams of eligible individuals entering on behalf of organizations- View official rules
- Submitters who are employed by Yelp or DevPost are not eligible.
- Please view official rules for full details on eligibility.
- Create an app or website that uses Yelp's API or update an existing app or website with the Yelp API (added after the start of the submission period).
- Must run on one of the following platforms: a native smartphone or tablet app (iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows, web app (mobile or desktop), a desktop app (Windows PC, Mac Desktop), software running on other hardware (including, but not exclusive to, custom hardware which includes a software component (wearable technology, open source hardware, etc.)
Be a new application, or, if an existing application, must have integrated Yelp after the start of the submission period.
Function as depicted in the submitted video and text description
Be substantially different from any other app submitted by the same submitter/team/organization
Be the original work of the submitter, be solely owned by the submitter, and not violate the IP rights of any other person or entity
Be provided at no charge for the testing and judging periods
Submitters must include the Email account connected to Yelp Developer account, AND the Consumer Key for Yelp Developer account on their submission form.
For a complete list of requirements, please read the Official Rules.
$8,500 in prizes
1st Place - Grand Prize Winner
2nd Place - Runner-up
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
- Click the "Register for this hackathon" button to sign up, receive important updates communications, and form teams.
- Read the Official Rules to confirm you meet all eligibility requirements.
- Sign up for a developer account on the Yelp developer site to get started.
- Visit our resources page to get all the necessary documents and resources you need to build your app.
- Submit your project by clicking "Enter a submission" button.
Senior Vice President, Engineering
Senior Vice President, Business and Corporate Development
Vice President, Business Products
Vice President, Consumer and Mobile Products
Is the application unique and/or innovative? How creative is it?
Is the application polished, visually appealing, and easy to use?
Effective Use of the Yelp API
How well does the application utilize the Yelp API?